View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rod Spine...up or down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todvan View Post
So is the spine the concave side or the convex side? Aren't both sides the same strength since each (convex or concave) is being bent the same amount? I agree that this is the direction the rod wants to bend easiest and it doesn't hurt to line this direction up with your guides. Just not sure what side is weaker.....
So....would it be that the line goes through the blank itself, the blank then may turn to the spine away from the load. BUT, as shown in a couple of the rod books I mentioned...the "science" (and logic) on rods spinning relative to the spine...doesn't happen because of the guides. That said, guides on the spine or off....if the load is attached to the line...because the guides are off the rod and off the spine, that extra force will take the rod where the load wants to go.....basically, the line in the guides keeps the rod 'on track'.

It has also been said though, that my (not really mine, but mine gleaned from reading) comment does not hold true if the guides are not placed on the spine or 180 degrees away. If placed at 90 or so from the spine, apparently twist will be experienced as well as imapcts to casting accuracy.

All said, Art Schenk says...the majority of fly fishers wouldn't know the difference in casting or fighting relative to guides ON or off the spine. I think THAT is where the primary issue is.

Of course, and to be certain, I am not speaking from a place of experience....still working on my first build. I am speaking from the point of being well researched and as a scientist...which I am.

King Joe Outa Here!