View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to fish a hopper, and some rigging questions

Hello and welcome to the forum,

When I fished the grass hopper imitations down there I would start by staying back from the edge of the water on my side of the stream and try to reach out and dap the edge before I waded in. This was done only if the water looked as if it may well be holding some fish. Somehow we always think that there are always fish on the other side of the stream no matter which side we are on. So.......first thing to think of is that when you approach the water, you are on 'the other side'.

When you are fishing small creeks as may well be the case there in Colorado you may want to consider whether you are right or left handed as a caster. This matters because you will end up fishing upstream and casting the hopper to the edges where they are most likely to be hitting the water when they fall in. The right / left hand thing dictates which side of the stream you'll want to be slowly and cautiously creeping up along.

Take your time, get used to casting the fly with accuracy and watch for the presence of grass hoppers. You'll want the heavier tippet material for the larger flies also.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;