View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fish a hopper, and some rigging questions

I deleted my original post. It was late last night and I started to reply but then I couldn't take the time. Normally I would.

Let me try to help you in the gentlest way I can.

First off you are asking really basic questions such as the difference between fluoro and mono, how to rig and fish a hopper/ dropper, etc; and yet you say "you've read a lot." I suspect by that you mean you've read a lot of short pieces on the internet, but not really a book that covers the basics of fly fishing.

So my first suggestion is to go to the library and look at books under fly fishing to see if there is a good one you that covers the basics. You need a logical framework to organize the small snippers of information you have been reading.

My second comment is that you wasted a lot of time with the guide and it was not the guide's fault. Whenever you hire a guide or someone takes you fishing, there are two words that need to be on your mind. They are "HOW?" and WHY".

When the guide rigged the indicators and flies you should have asked "How are you doing that" and Why, as in Why is the indicator up 4 feet from the bottom fly. Why are the flies "X" inches apart. Why did you use the fly X for the top fly and fly Z for the bottom fly? Why did you have me cast there? How did you know to cast there? Why did you have me pick up there? Why did I have to mend? What other mends are there?

Why? How? What? The guide can not only show you how to fish but WHY he does what he does. You only need to ask. The next time you get a guide tell him right at the start that you want him/her to teach you how to do things for yourself and in fact you want to rig up your own flies and gear, and you want him/her to teach you how to find and rig up to find fish on your own.

I suggest you start with my FAQs I wrote for FF@.

Henry's faqs menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
So I'm still relatively new to fly fishing. On top of a lot of reading I've gone fishing twice now with a guide so I sort of know what I'm doing I'm going fishing this weekend, as well as next weekend on my own, went to the shop I like and they recommended a small selection of PMD nymphs/flys and a couple of hoppers. How ever it slipped my mind to ask a few questions that I have so hopefully you guys can help me out.

I have collected a few spools of tippet made by Rio in 4x through 6x but some of it is a Powerflex with a red label and some of it is Fluoroflex + with a purple label. What are the differences between the two, are there different uses for the 2 kinds?

Both times I went fishing with a guide I was set up with 2 flies, something like a San Juan worm with a nymph following behind, all while using a float indicator. These were always rigged up by the guide and I didn't pay enough attention to the distances used between the indicator,fly 1 and fly 2. Is there a good rule of thumb or tips I can follow when setting up distances between the 3? What about using a dry fly followed by a nymph, any tips?

Finally, whats the best way to fish a hopper? Thanks guys!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy