View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Smallie Nirvana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishspringer View Post
Jbird, fantastic fishing. Literally a catch on every cast!

can you tell me the rig you were using (what weight is your rod, what size leader, tippet and what kind of fly we're you using)? As a new fly fisherman I'd love to try out my 5 weight rod but not sure about size of leader/tippet/fly. I've caught some great smallies up here in New England but only on spinning gear so I want to try it on the fly rod now.

Dave
Hi Dave. Glad you liked it! With enough time, research and experimentation, most gamefish can be caught with good regularity on the fly. I only flyfish now for the simple reason that I catch more fish than any other method.

My equipment is a 6wt rod and a wf floating line. My leader is crude. Its hand made with blood knots. The butt is 40# tied to 30", then 20# and tippet is 12# for a total length of about 8'. You want a fairly short leader when throwing big flies.

For Smallies my favorite flies are. In order of productivity. #1 - 3" green and white streamer tied Puglisi style. #2 Blue and white clouser(which is the fly used in the first video). #3 black and red woolly bugger. #4 crease fly.

The #1 recipe for success is to get on some fish you can see. That way you can observe their reacton to your fly. Vary your pattern and presentation until you get a reaction. It really helps when theres several fish together because they tend to compete, which causes aggression.

I have a friend who has a lot of trouble catching them on the fly because he gets frustrated and goes back to spinning gear. The best thing you can do as a spinning-fly fishing convert is to leave the spinning outfit behind and perservere until you crack the code. You wont be sorry