View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:17 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TFO BVK or Mangrove?

I had a 7wt BVK & 8wt BVK and fished a lot with both. Caught a good number of redfish and bass with both.

Sold both on the classifieds here. I had no faith they wouldn't break come time to really stress a rod. Both have a very tight window of good casting distance. Neither did well in the 20'-45' range when needing pin point accuracy. However both could chunk a line. So if you are casting 45' feet all the time they are good rods but I'd wouldn't use them to horse a bass out of cover.

We now have 6, 7, & 8wt Mangroves and absolutely love them. First we can't afford $500++ rods. It's me and my two "car door slamming" sons. So am always looking for best value out there. Car doors have "eaten" a number of rods through the years.

We do lots of wade fishing often with winds of 10-20mph. So casting is a full gamut of distances. We don't have some pro poling us, we're wading/slopping all fishing trip. Often we require finesse with close casts at reds or distance when cover water blind casting.

To me the Mangrove just fits the multi distance scheme better. they are not "slow" rods but also are NOT fast taper spinning rods with fly guides (my opinion of many of the "name" "fast" rods out there).

I've only used the 6wt a few time but like it a lot.

Here's some action photos of Thomas with his 8wt and my 7wt & that days lunch.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.