View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Spine...up or down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
All said, Art Schenk says...the majority of fly fishers wouldn't know the difference in casting or fighting relative to guides ON or off the spine. I think THAT is where the primary issue is.

King Joe Outa Here!
That right there is the key. You have to realize that the practice of spinning a rod started way before graphite and carbon fiber. When I started building fiberglass was king and those blanks had VERY noticable spines. If you cut and ferruled a one piece blank (very common since you couldn't buy a multi piece blank) and didn't line up the sections after cutting it they would twist at the ferrules when you put a load on the rod. Heavy offshore rods would definately twist in your hands if the rod wasn't spined. Spining a rod would also impact the cast (not like you would actually try to cast a 5'5" 130lb class rod) but the power to raise and fight a fish was way more important. With todays materials and manufacturing processes spinning a rod probably wouldn't make a noticable difference, but I do it anyway