View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: I need help with a trip to Central Coast area

For that area, I would focus on the salt. There are a few reservoirs inland from Big Sur that hold largemouth bass and such, but the coast will provide a great variety of fish to catch right from the beach.

I would recommend a 6-to-8-wt rod with a full sinking line (I use a 300-grain Scientific Anglers Streamer Express on my 8-wt). Wear your waders and use a stripping basket. The water temperature will be cold, but very tolerable when wearing waders.

Take a variety of Clousers in sizes 2-8 ranging from white to orange to black, and you'll be amazed at the variety of hungry sea life that sits in inches of water at your feet.

Check the tides online. A moving tide is good, but an incoming tide is ideal. Give it a try. You will have lots of fun.

Fishing the surf is an active sport. You'll be moving around and hopping up and down to absorb the waves as they come in. The sinking line is essential for keeping in touch with your fly to feel the strikes. The stripping basket is essential for managing your line in the surf.

I highly recommend you try it.

-VB