View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Welded Loops In Spey Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I've been welding loops for a couple days now on an old worn out fly line, took me a few tries to figure out line rotation and distance from the heat gun but I'm starting to get the feel for it.

Tonight I broke out an 8wt DT line, cut it in half and managed to make a couple shooting heads, looped em up on some running line and gave em a go....they worked pretty well.
That is one of the 'beauties' of a DT line. The 'weight' is the first 30 feet. Whack in half and you have two shooting heads. Do you need a forward taper, load one spool with the fat end first. Need to chuck really big flies, small end goes on the shooting line first.

'But the heads too short!' Fiddle that, the usual line out of the box is 90 feet so each head is 45 foot long, with a two hander DT kick that out to 120 feet.

Other than a "Manly Man" stories, who really casts/fishes (effectively) well beyond that range? Yes, I have hooked fish with 120 foot of spey line off the reel, but the fish hooked themselves. I probably had little to do with the process, save for the cast.

fae