Thread: Nymphing Line?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nymphing Line?

I spoke with Jay at Rio... good guy.

I explained the rods I have and what I want to do with them especially being more general purpose.

The 4w he did not recommend any nymph line because theirs and SA's is basically 2 line weights over. Rio Gold is 1/4 over and that is what he recommended for the 4w which will still allow me to throw some heavier tandem rigs. I don't use bobbers or indicators so that sounded reasonable. Flipping over to streamers or emergers shouldn't be a problem.

The 6w, he said should be fine with the nymph line but still won't be as versitile. He didn't recommend the grand either. I want the 6w for early season nymphing and random streamer activity as well as possibly something for trips to go after larger species. If not staying with the nymph line he did recommend the Rio Perception because it's 1/2 line size heavier (200g head weight). Apparently the sensitivity of the line will offer good strike detection without an indicator and will very easily be able to flip over to any style of fishing without an over abundant head slamming the water.

I have the Perception on my 5w and do like it so I may switch over. Luckily the place I ordered from offers an exchange or swap out within 90 days. I didn't spool them yet so it shouldn't be a problem.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...