View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How Many Of You Will Be Tying This Winter?

From time to time I stumble across a fly that has a story. It's great when it happens. Case in point is a fly named the Dr. Mummy. I spent maybe 5 years following it's trail before I finally put the materials to the hook. I read all I could find connecting history to this fly and there's quite a story if you go about it the way I did. Flies like these are a pleasure for me to tie; as I place each material on the hook in a very relaxed leisurely pace I recall everything I learned and experienced about it and they take me fishing to places I''ll never get too. If a fly like this takes me an hour to put together, so be it. Just like reading a good book or watching a great movie.

Of course, I tie up the regulars for restocking but I seldom venture nowadays tying the latest and greatest. All the new ones remind me of rush hour traffic, sure I'll look at them and admire some of them but I like to tie the ones that tell me a story.