View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 06:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Fly Fishing Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_cooter View Post
My new fly fishing friend is my wife. We have fished together for 22+ years, but she has always used UL spin gear and has never shown any interest in fly fishing. She has been over 4 months recovering from back surgery and finally doing well.
About 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, she asked if I would teach her to fish with a fly rod. Took me a bit to comprehend her question, I said I would be glad to do it. We practiced about an hour twice a day as time permitted. Not being a great caster myself, we had a lot of laughs.
Yesterday we went to the pond for her first fly fishing adventure. Took her about an hour to get used to casting from a sitting position and to settle down. She missed a few fish trying to set the hook too soon, but she soon got the hang of it. This is her first fish on a fly rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

She was using a Cabela's Three Forks 5wt. She caught a total of 5 bream about the same size as the first. She now totally hooked herself.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
TOO COOL!

Good on you both.

Fred