View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Closest place to Oklahoma for some steelhead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
What would be expected as far as hook ups on the clearwater under ideal conditions? I know that's a very ambiguous question but I am getting some numbers like one or two fish on the fly for two or three days fishing from one guide I contacted. Been fishing many years and I know nothing is guaranteed but that sure sounds low for driving 22 hrs each way. Educate us please.
Yep- that's steelheading. Certainly there are going to be days where you do exceptional but most often it is far far from a numbers game. In terms of Great Lakes, I have caught as many fall run steelhead when I was salmon fishing as when I was fishing the spring steelhead run. And all the moments where I was not catching steelhead I was catching loads of salmon.

Something to keep in mind- Steelheading is very contemplative experience requiring great patience that can be done in some very beautiful places. Success is measured as time on the water, vistas viewed and friends made and perhaps you will be rewarded with a couple hookups.

However, if you choose the fall salmon/steelhead Great Lakes run be prepared for combat fishing as the crowds can be big.