View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Before and after Baetis

I got spooled on the Ranch because of the weeds. I hooked into a tank and the rainbow went nuts for the first minute or two jumping like only they can do and made a downstream run then circled back and cut through a wide swath of weeds heading back upstream with all the weeds attached to my fly line. The weeds went downstream and ran my backing to the arbor knot and I couldn't recover any line because the knot was slipping on the reel. I was chest deep in the water had to throw my rig up in the high grass next to the bank. The fish was still on when I picked up the rod and reel and managed a turn to catch the backing and recover the line with a L of of a bend in the rod due to the weight of the weeds attached to the line. I eventually landed the fish...she was a good'un.

Nowadays I throw a clove hitch of backing over the arbor knot to prevent the spooled line slipping on me.