View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post
Hi Guys,

So I'm heading out to do some wading on Big Hole in early October and I have a question.

I am wondering how many of you use a wading staff while wading? I'm not just talking about store bought devices...........I'm talking about the occasional stick that you use to cross a body of water to get to a better body of water. Don't be shy!

Dan
Dan, up to my early 50's I never bothered ... until I got 'swept away' by the current. As close to death as ever been short of 'bullets.' Now, I don't step in moving water without the weighted tip of my wading staff going in first.

The fold up things are just toys and 99% will not even open the bloody things up until they're already is deep do-do. Mine is 58" long (mid chest high) solid stick and has a pound of lead wrap at the bottom to keep it 'stuck' there. You take that last wrong step and a 300 pound man could anchor himself and 'back out' of a 'that was wrong!'

And no, I don't clock in at 300 pounds; I have trouble staying at 6' and 160.