View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Dan, up to my early 50's I never bothered ... until I got 'swept away' by the current. As close to death as ever been short of 'bullets.' Now, I don't step in moving water without the weighted tip of my wading staff going in first.
Yep, me too...not that I was swept away, but off balance and in trouble where it could have happened. I like the idea of a weighted staff like Fred's but mine is a less expensive breakdown model from Cabelas. I am thinking of switching to a solid wood staff and might play with a little weight based on Fred's experience...

You know...if you asked the question, you probably know the answer. I did when I started asking folks about them.

I hate stuff...I carry a darned net now because I'm clumsy handling fish without it, but I hang it off my back with a magnet gizmo and never know it's there...and a staff is like that after you use it a few times. It's just part of the drill and you find ways to make sure it's out of the way, etc without a lot of hassle...

I hate to quote my wife, but it's better to have and not need than the other when you can drown or get hypothermic. yikes!

Hope others chime in...the more that have them the less that'll get in trouble...

oh, forgot to mention...I like mine walking TO THE WATER too...a trekking pole, if you will