View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you use a Wading Staff?

Dan,

Ditto here. I only started fly fishing last year but I use one. Yes, it is one that folds up but it works. Seriously, it does.

I was on a stream last December on a very rainy day. Being a noob, as well as an idiot, I wandered into the stream without the staff. No problem going across at all. Four hours later, I crossed in the same spot to go back.

Ain't it great being dumb??

The water was A LOT higher and faster than it was earlier. I wandered right into the middle of the stream like a true idiot and was immediately stuck. The stream was WIDER. The stream was FASTER. The stream was HIGHER. And everywhere I out my foot in a 360-degree area was too dang deep.

Of course, there wasn't anybody around. I don't think I was ever so scared in my life. It took me 15-20 minutes to walk 20-25 feet. It took all I could not to go mad, I swear. Well, maybe not but my heart sure was pumping hard.

Once I go across, the second thing I did was RUN to the car to get the walking staff.

What did I do first? Kiss the big old rock I was able to climb onto to get out of that mess.

Now I never go anywhere without it.

I do have a question, where/how do you hang the darn thing on you so it is not in the way all the time?