View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Black Nosed Dace ---Need Help

My "Talleur's Basic Fly Tying" book lists the following recipe:
Hook: Long shank streamer
Thread: Black
Tag: Fine red yarn
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Three layers; from the lowermost; White polar bear hair, black bear or skunk tail hair, brown buck tail.

He then adds the insert, " I suggest you make a few substitutions. ...polar bear hair is illegal. We'll use a synthetic substitute. I also suggest substituting embossed tinsel for the flat and black dyed squirrel tail for the bear or skunk. "

The photos look to be about a size 6.

My "Flies of the Northwest" credits the pattern to Art Flick, the materials are similar except for a silver oval rib over a flat silver tinsel body and a wing, from the bottom, of white, black and brown all buck tail. In sizes 2-10.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey