View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Black Nosed Dace ---Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
My "Talleur's Basic Fly Tying" book lists the following recipe:
Hook: Long shank streamer
Thread: Black
Tag: Fine red yarn
Body: Flat silver tinsel
Wing: Three layers; from the lowermost; White polar bear hair, black bear or skunk tail hair, brown buck tail.

He then adds the insert, " I suggest you make a few substitutions. ...polar bear hair is illegal. We'll use a synthetic substitute. I also suggest substituting embossed tinsel for the flat and black dyed squirrel tail for the bear or skunk. "

The photos look to be about a size 6.

My "Flies of the Northwest" credits the pattern to Art Flick, the materials are similar except for a silver oval rib over a flat silver tinsel body and a wing, from the bottom, of white, black and brown all buck tail. In sizes 2-10.
That's the recipe I was always taught and it is a great fish catching pattern for a classic. I use white craft fur or white bucktail in place of the polar bear. the white craft fur gives the fly some umph!

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

The other variation of it that's productive is on a shorter shank streamer hook with everything the same except the silver tinsel is replaced by silver Mylar tubing it gives the streamer a more full look!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser