View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you fish mice patterns?

Thought I'd follow-up. The way I've done it is at night. I scout spots during the day. Undercut banks, pools with submerged structure, etc. Figure out where I'll stand and cast, look for room to back-cast since it is hard to see at night. I've done it a bit in Colorado and also some back in Michigan on the Au Sable, actually my dentist turned me on to it when we talked about the Hex hatch. I know some folks do it on the Pere Marquette but I've never done it.

Here is a pic of a brown I caught here in Colorado. Not huge, but fun

Click the image to open in full size.

It was in a beaver pond near Breckenridge. We fished the area during the day and noticed some medium to large trout in the logs at the bottom of the pool but couldn't get them to strike. Cast the mouse near the banks, near overhanging branches and even out in the middle and got a lot of strikes. Just have to listen to hook-up or if there is a moon sometimes you can see your fly. Bats get interested in the fly which can lead to fun bat fighting, though I haven't experienced it personally.