View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Do you fish mice patterns?

I fish mice about 4 or 5 times a year, almost exclusively at night. I have fished them a couple times during the day for browns, but those were overcast days. I figured they might be shallow due to the cloud cover.

Full moons are great for micing, as you can sometimes see the strikes, which will be more violent than any strike you've ever seen by a factor of ten.

Basic retrieves include: dead drift (moving water), long slow strips, and 'walking the dog.'

'Walking the dog,' is actually from bass fishing with cigar baits. Tie the mouse on with a loop knot, cast, and strip in 2 to 3 inches strips, trying to 'pop' the mouse. This is done in sets of three or four: stripstripstrip pause stripstripstripstrip pause, etc. Done correctly the mouse's nose will twitch back and forth during the retrieve, moving a lot of water (dinner bell) and create a lifelike movement for your fly. Just remember you're trying to imitate a confused mouse; start your retrieve with a twitch then pause a couple twitches long pause, then start a 'normal' retrieve.

Peace.

P.S. I should say that tapered leaders are not required; 5-6 ft. of 15 lb. mono will do. Also, when it comes to gear, go big. Mice are very wind resistant. I used a 5 wt. for years and always wore out my shoulder and arm trying to cast further than 30 ft. Now I use either a stout 6 that's really a 6/7, or an 8 wt.

Another note: I heartily agree with a previous poster concerning scouting your water during the day before night fishing. And not only for checking your casting lanes and game planning. Night fishing unfamiliar water, especially moving water is just asking for trouble. I've done it, and the least of your worries is tripping and filling your waders with icy water, or breaking a rod. I've smacked my skull on rocks and logs, slipped into deep water up to my chin, gotten stuck in miresome mud, etc. Scout your water in daylight and always fish with a partner at night. Oh, and don't forget the headlight and some superglue for minor cuts and such.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 09-11-2013 at 09:11 PM.