View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

With out a doubt Gulp is an awesome bait, and just that a bait for bait fisherman . Every spring I make a Crappie trip to a special lake with one of my old friends to fill our freezers with tasty Crappie fillets . My friend is strictly a spinning guy and he uses Gulps religiously to tip his jigs.
We always have a little friendly competition to see who catches the most at the end of the trip. A few years he outfished my flys with his Gulp and jig combination and I had to eat crow and clean fish. I could have surrendered and used the Gulp and spinning gear to beat him but that's not me!
So what I did was come up with a fly that outfished the Gulp !
Nothing fancy just a small hook with Pearl Flashabou tied on short streamer style with a wrap at the back of the hook to flair the Flashabou and then I Palmer a small white hackle feather at the head for a little buoyancy .
Put it to you this way with this fly by the time his jig/Gulp and bobber combo goes under I'm already casting to the next fish ! And I haven't lost since! There are other flys that have been equally as successful but when the Gulp is hot I go with the Flashabou fly!
I got the idea from SW flys f I use when Sabiku rigs are called for and they work there as well. Try a bit of Pearl Flashabou and you may surprise yourself!!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser