View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "What do I have to do to catch a fish on a feather fly?"

Rick,

To answer your question - The best way to catch a fish on a fly is to use a fly when you fish.

You need to invest what ever time it requires to learn the skills and develop the confidence in any method you would like to use to catch fish. As you practice and improve your skills, your catch rate goes up.

To be honest, if I started to fish Gulp, using the same techniques I use to fish my favorite flies, I'm sure my catch rate would plummet. I would have to figure out what I needed to do to make Gulp work, and then practice the skills I needed to fish Gulp in an effective manner. Those skills would include where to fish, presentation, strike detection and hook set.

So as with any other skill, you need to invest the time. The easiest way to do that is to leave the Gulp at home for the next few trips, and fish with your fly, for better or worst, until you gain confidence in being able to effectively fish whatever method you'd like to use.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 09-12-2013 at 05:48 AM.