View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Helios 2 vs Loomis NRX

Back in the day, 6-weight rods were standard for trout fishing. The excellent rod building properties of carbon fiber relegated #6's to streamer and bass rods as 4 and 5-weights could achieve what it used to take a #6 to do in cane or glass. Today, as graphite rods have gotten even lighter in physical weight, I predict a renaissance in 6-weight use for trout. The salient advantage is the actual mass of 6-weight line itself. More mass = more line control; in air and on water. Multi-tasking on big, wild trout rivers like the main stem of the Delaware, a light weight, powerful 6-weight with a compliant tip is a great alternative to the ubiquitous #5. No, I am not relegating my #4 & 5's to the back of the rack...my traveling trout quiver contains 2 #4's, 2 #5's and a 6-weight (mine may not be as good as H2 though).

Lee Wulff famously used little rods both trout and salmon fishing. For the upper Beaverkill in front of his house, he fished a 6 1/2' rod...for #6 line! He despised ultra light lines for their lack of control. He said, and I witnessed, he could achieve a more delicate dry fly presentation by turning over his #6 line and leader in air and wafting the fly down to the surface than by less powerfully casting a #3 line that "felt" delicate but, as it unfurled upon the stream ahead of the leader and fly, it sent mini shock waves to the rising trout.