View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Seeking help with decisions for a fly fishing newbie

Isn't any question what I would do if I had $700 now. I wouldn't wait until next year to fish. Keep some powder dry for later when you figure this out. Spend about $300 and have some fun right now. You can learn how to flycast with some internet lessons and practice in the yard, park or whatever is handy. You can teach yourself well enough to catch some fish faster than you think. It will be tight but $300 will buy a decent enough rod, reel, line and a few flies. Most of the rest is just luxuries when you are starting out.

There are numerous options in this price range if you read the last month of posts on this forum. Worst case you sell off your stuff for half your $300 and start over. mridenour mentioned some affordable brands. Check those out and throw up your questions. The Redington Trout Classic rod gets a lot of good reviews here. Hope so, because mine will be here tomorrow. $105 shipped. Redington has slightly cheaper rods and combos than the CT line, but at some price point you get into stuff that probably isn't even good enough for a beginner to be content with for long. That was my experience anyway.