View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs and fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post
They were trained to go fishing however and do not spook fish.
Exactly, training is the key. A dog that isn't house broken will relieve himself on the rug, doesn't make him a bad dog. In my experience dogs are rather intelligent and generally want to please their owners. You need to make expectations clear and reward good behavior.

While it is not true for every dog, for example Russellb's dobermann, but in those cases you just have to know the limitations of your dog. My terrier is so obsessed with rodents that I don't bring her out fishing. She's a great dog and obedient almost all the time, but I know there is too much temptation and too much risk most of the places I fish. My brother's dog on the other hand, she's a better fishing partner than some human's I have fished with. And they are totally untrainable