View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Double hauling destroys my cast

Silver: Though that's good information, getting into casting style isn't important IMO. For example, how you grip the rod with the thumb really makes no difference so long as you can throw a line straight back behind you and follow it up with a good forward cast. It's whatever works best for the individual.

I put no emphasis into casting style -- pushing, pulling, amount of wrist, elbow movement, shoulder rotation, body movement, rod arc, where you pull the hand when hauling, etc. are all done to different degrees among the top casters in the sport. For example, I cast much more like the late Mel Krieger and very unlike Lefty Kreh....although I read Lefty's book early and and wish I hadn't because regardless of what he says, he basically teaches "principles" that show you how Lefty casts. Not that some aren't true - but if the best casters in the world have extremely different styles (and they do), how important can it be?

I think I do use some wrist "snap", but I don't pay attention to it enough to tell. I'd best that the real "pulling" style casters don't use much of it though. I think they emphasize more of a hard stop via heavy shoulder rotation -- not wrist. I'd imagine that you don't need to teach using wrist snap -- it would seem to develop naturally when the caster learns how to 'stop' on the cast.

Everyone teaches tailing loops differently too...which is funny to me. I can pick up any rod and throw a tailing loop at will -- even placing it in the fly line, which is kind of fun . They way I get tailing loops (at will and by accident) is by ending the cast early before the rod flexes completely...or using a casting arc that is too short for the amount of line I have out. I've never looked into whether not using wrist can cause it, though what you're saying seems to make sense.

The only thing that matters is what the loops look like going back and forth (on an overhead cast....obviously not a roll cast ). I mean the "end result" -- not casting style.