View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 10:52 AM

Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

[quote="BigCliff"]Hello all West-Coasters!

I made the drive from San Diego up to Orange County and couldn't help but notice all those streams/rivers that pour into the Pacific that flow under I-5. Some of them looked like PRIME estuaries to me, and looked as though they would have massive amounts of gamefish at least part of the year. I was just wondering if any of you folx had experience fishing those areas and if they were productive.
quote]
There are some very nice fishing areas between San Diego and Orange counties. Fly fishing is productive for most of them. Striped bass, corbina, halibut, barred perch, yellow finned croaker etc. In the summer months on through fall, you can find mackeral, bonito (false tunny), barracuda, and other sportier fish that will hit a fly (if you think a small mackeral really moves out, try a 5 lb bonito on a fly, you'll never forget it).
There are several good books out that will give you pointers and general areas if you happen to be out that way again.