View Single Post
Old 09-22-2013, 04:51 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Loomis NRX Steelhead & Salmon Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Many elite rod making companies started with or include bamboo rods in their offering. Those who do and even many who don't have adopted a bamboo aesthetic in their carbon fiber rods; nickel silver winding checks and reel seat hardware, figured hardwood spacers, thread wraps tastefully tipped in contrasting color, classic shaped cork grips...and this appeals to many fly fishers particularly those of us who may have started with cane. This includes me.

But G.Loomis started as a graphite rod innovator and, as it continues to be a leader in materials and tapers; embraces plastic. OK, IMX was a good looking rod but when revolutionary GLX was introduced they went full-on "Form Follows Function". Flat gray sanded blank, the first ever woven carbon seat spacer, unadorned black anodized aluminum reel seats with black thread wraps and single foot black guides. "Ugly" proclaimed some. Unequaled casting/fishing fly rod realized others. Beauty is as beauty does and GLX turned the fly rod industry upside-down. NRX harkens back to that aesthetic attitude and I applaud its honesty. Yes, I added a long-in-the-tooth StreamDance GLX (8 1/2'/#4) this year...still a standout rod. But I expect its experiment with "conventional" good looks to go by the wayside as newer models advance the Loomis tradition of advanced carbon composite high performance fly rods.

Spoken poetically. I'm left scratching my head and feeling more unintelligent than ever!

Fish on!