Thread: Wet or Dry
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wet or Dry

I've been a dry fly bigot pretty much for as long as I can remember. The visual aspect of fishing adds significantly to my enjoyment.

My home waters primarily support a large caddis fly population, so I fish with a very active presentation. I tend to view my fly as a puppet, so I very much like to see what it is doing. I will also say that my home waters have a very diverse population of prey, so the fish rarely feed selectively on a single species, rather I think they are in the habit of feeding opportunistically, taking whatever happens to come along. That allows me to successfully fish the way I want to fish, and that might not be the case in all waters. Of course, that may be the fact that initially attracted me to fish where I fish.

I think the other thing with me is I've been doing this so long, my strike reflex is keyed to a visual cue. Seeing the take is what triggers my strike reflex. I find I react alot slower when I feel a take, rather than see it.

It's particularly exciting to me, when fishing clear water to see the fish approach the fly getting ready for the take. Sometimes it's a slow approach, sometimes the fish shoots up thru the water column like a Polaris missile. In either case, it's a fun game not to over react or pull the trigger too soon. It is a fun game I never get tired of playing.

I've pretty much fished this way my whole life, so out of force of habit, it's what I like to do. I find I can catch more than my fair share of fish on top, whether there are hatches going on or not. I have confidence that if I use the right presentation, the fish will respond.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo