View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future
Default Bamboo refurbish

I picked up a bamboo rod today, in poor shape. I just wanted it to work on. It has no collectors value, I'm going to fix it and fish it. It has a number of issues to be addressed. Loose feurells, missing tip guide, a snake guide tied on with string, etc. I've built glass rods, so I have the basics to put it together.
The finish is shot ; worn off, peeling, discolored, etc, so I need to strip it down to bare wood. My first question would be, how best to clean it up and do the least damage to the wood ? Chemical strippers concern me, as I don't want to have the glue dissolve. Scrapers, sanding, or what ? I'm thinking of using Tru Oil to finish it once it's cleaned up. I've had good results with that on fine wood projects and custom gun stocks, but I'm open to any and all ideas.