View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bamboo refurbish

If it is an old finish, like you are describing, a single edged razor or glass shard used like a scraper will probably remove the finish without damaging the bamboo. Shoot on many older bamboo rods, I have refinished, my thumbnail was sufficent to remove the majority of finish.

Personal Opinion: Do not use chemical strippers or even acetone to remove the finish. Best way to delaminate a rod is to use them, especially with the old horsehide glues. Water can cause horsehide glued strips to delaminate.

I would re-attach the ferrules before finishing the blank. If you use Philo Bond (contact cement) or the like you don't want a finish between the bamboo and ferrule. I avoid epoxies as they don't have the tensile strength (flexibility) to last over the years. That is just my experience having repaired several loose ferrules where epoxy was used to install them.

Make sure the ferrules aren't pinned. Many a ferrule and blank has been ruined by the ferrule being forced off without the pin being removed.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16