View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 AM

tx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the roughtx_newb is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: lowest priced machined reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
First impression: Better than I expected.

This reel was on ebay for $70/Best Offer. I offered $65 w/shipping. The seller accepted that.

It comes with a good quality neoprene bag.

The machining is very good - not perfect. On a couple of the non-critical surfaces, you can see a few swirl marks. On the critical surfaces, I can't see any stray machining marks at all.

The spool's wobble is very, very slight. Much better than, for example, Okuma SLV. About the same as a Lamson Konic or Guru.

The click-pawl adjustment works by moving the two assemblies closer to one another. Even on the lightest setting, it still prevents backlash when I strip out line as fast as I can. It works in both directions, but is lighter when retrieving line - there's no free spool on retrieval.

The spool comes off by pressing on it with your thumbs, like many other reels. If there's a weak link here, it will be the O-ring that supplies the pressure to hold it together. It's a standard metric O-ring, so it's easy to replace if you need to.

The foot is held on by blind screws from the inside. That leaves the foot's mounting surface for the reel seat completely smooth. There are no holes in it to mar the reel seat - a nice touch.

That's my first impression. Now I have to fish with it. I'll keep you posted.
Any update on this reel since you've had some time to fish with it? I'm looking at purchasing my first setup (well first since I last fly fished about 15 years ago). I was considering putting the Clark VIS 5/6/7 on a TFO Pro II, but there doesn't seem to be much information out on the Clark reels other than a few short reviews on ebay. Thoughts?