View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Lump on side of trout

Hi Flyfisher,

Let's presume that this fish was one of many who were recently introduced and was reared in a hatchery. Fish, like people, can and do develop various diseases and those fish who are grown in the crowded and often dirty conditions of a hatchery have a much higher risk of this.

What you describe sounds like a skin lesion which has developed into a sort of cyst or tumor over time. It could have began as a small wound or may have been just a skin lesion. Unless I began to see many trout with examples of this same type affliction I wouldn't panic.

As for deciding when the fish should die........ that would be a judgment to be made by you. If it were obviously suffering then killing it would seem appropriate. However, keeping it would not be an option for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;