Thread: Upper Patuxent
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Upper Patuxent

I've fished the area above MD RT 97 many times. Haven't been there in several years however.

There used to be holdovers, but you have to work to get to them. The paths used to be minimal, and the deeper holes are not always easy to get to.

My approach was chest waders, a full day & lots of patience.

I would work my way up stream as far as I felt I could go & still get back to the parking lot before dark on any given day.

There used to be a lot of crayfish in that section of stream & an abundance of hoppers & crickets, as well as other terrestrials. I have a stonefly nymph on my blog, that I tie mostly for stream SM bass. It's worked well for me in there in a size 6. I think it may be taken as a small crayfish or even a cricket.

Have also done well in there with a leech pattern, specifically a Clouser style tied on a # 6 with full black ostrich herl & a bit of flash, like copper or bronze. I've used them in there with bead chain eyes, or very small brass barbells since it's not usually too deep to require heavier.

Just below MD RT 97 is a section of Tridelphia reservoir so there can be multiple species in the stream above there. I once caught a brown trout, a rainbow, a SM bass & a LM bass in there in the same day. A Slam of sorts.

BTW, I was approached by a couple of young guys in there once who were not looking for fishing info! My truck was the only vehicle in the parking lot, so I guess they thought I might be an easy target. Didn't happen that way, and they left empty handed. Just be careful in there!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!