View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default I Should'a Been Fishing...........

But I tied flies all day.

When I left the lodge on Wednesday morning I gave my friend 8 (I think) of the magic articulated Sculpin flies. It didn't rain today and it's 50* out but I felt like I needed to replace the flies before going. These things take a long time to make.

This is the type of fly that has a barb less Gamakatsu #4 stinger hook tethered to a shank with 15 pound Power Pro braid. I use a large sewing needle to thread the braid through a strip of bunny fur that is lashed to the stinger.

The braid id knotted to the shank and the bunny fur secured there also. Then I wind the fur forward and tie off. After all that I use spun deer hair - wool - a set of pheasant shoulders for peck fins - and tie in a bunch of dyed grizzly hackles before sliding one of those Sculpin helmets onto the front of the shank and finishing the head.

It is a multi step process and I'm slow. I did replace all the ties and am ready for morning now. I just need to figure out where to go fishing.

This type fly is like a big rainbow magnet. Is anyone else making them or something similar?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;