View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wooly Bugger questions

After tying a few woolies today using various methods, I have a bunch of questions on how to improve them. Searched here but there are too many ways to spell wooly-woolie-wholly... so I am sure I missed some answers.

1. Maribou feather for the tail, do you guys use the feather tip or peel off some from the side? Do you have a method for shortening tail after tie, or is it just critical to get the length right before you lash it down? I trimmed a few and they look unnatural.

2. Hackle feather- I assume I can do what I want. Any preferences for a good hackle feather?

3. For those who use chenille for body, what size do you use? Stuff I bought seems too small.

4. Weighting- I used small brass beads, and wrapped hook with .015 wire (dozen wraps or so), as I saw on youtube from some of the more famous internet tyers. Sinks like a rock! Not something I will usually desire. I assume use a plastic bead or no bead at all for a slow fall?

What I have tied already look like they will catch fish, and I will test them by Monday. Just want to improve my woolies as I know I will be using many.