View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 04:48 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wooly Bugger questions

Very good points Larry.

Dont forget to tie your hackles on backards...to give a tapered effect from front to back. Unless you choose not to.

Lots of folks palmer their hackle as well on buggers...One good browny hit can do damage to the hackle stem.

I use many different sizes and weights of the same variation of bugger. The factors that sway me are unlimited I guess but the depth you choose to fish becomes critical on weight. When I fish the riffle river (maddy) I like a longer bugger but do not make it too heavy as the depth is typically 2-3 feet. But water is fast so if it is not heavy enough it skates or stays to close to the surface. (Hank Patterson Loves this!)

I fish the bugger almost always as a streamer and lots of folks fish it as a wet fly or nymph. I use more weight for that fact.

Epic fail on the chuck-n-duck on the Madison the other day which left me with a profusely bloody right ear. No pain no gain they say. Ouch is what I say, this time I was lucky the fly didn't stick in my ear but when I am ripping 70' casts in the wind that bugger is flat out movin and it is similar to getting shot int he ear with a pellet gun...It fricking hurts and lots of bleeding and cursing ensues.

I fish my buggers tandem a lot and I use different weighted sizes depending on what condition I am in.

On some river the Browny's want light colors and the Bow's want dark. So I tandem typically dark up front and light on the tip.