View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wooly Bugger questions

Let me see if I can help you with question #3.....

"3. For those who use chenille for body, what size do you use? Stuff I bought seems too small."

Start by attaching your tail.

If you like the look of "beefier bodies" you can make it happen by building up an underbody. This can be down many ways using different materials but in your case let's just use the chenille you have. Attach the chenille in the middle of the hook shank and wrap forward towards the eye stopping well short of the eye....wrap backward stopping well short of the bend...wrap forward again and then back to where you want to start your body. Lock in the surplus chenille at were you want to begin your body. If you don't have enough surplus to finish a body, at this point tie in what you need.

...or you can attach your chenille to the hook short of the eye and wrap the chenille in tight turns to the bend and proceed using the surplus chenille for the finished body. I like bodies that take on a cigar shape. YMMV.

Now tie on your hackle and proceed in the normal sequence.

You can shape the bodies anyway you want using the underbody technique. I use it on all of my large body flies.

ps...I don't weight or add beads to any of my flies. I add weight if needed to the leader....but that's the way I do it. Feel free to find out what works in your fishing.