Thread: Upper Patuxent
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Upper Patuxent

Tfrank, good call on the Patuxent Specials! I use them as well, and they're a fine fly for most of MD's streams. Good SM fly too!

That one encounter was many years ago, and the only time I've even been approached in such a manner. I've fished in other spots, even when bait fishing in places that had bad reputations for attracting undesirable characters & never had any problems, even fishing at night.

I used to fish up on the Potomac near Shepherdstown WV, and it was supposed to be a place that had a lot of vehicle break in's, but again I never had any issues there.

My guess is that one incident was simply being in the wrong place & wrong time, and those guys were taking advantage of the opportunity. Might not ever happen again there, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of the possibility.

Nothing really happened, they approached me, it was 3 young punks & they made some comments about my gear being expensive. They were not there to fish. I believe they intended to try to jump me & rob me, but I'm a big guy & I bluffed them by having my hand down inside my waders as if holding something. I told them it would end very badly if they pursued this further. They didn't appear to be armed, so they backed off & left. I guess they thought I was armed. At least that's what I wanted them to think.

I waited awhile to be sure they left & I went out to my truck. An NRP officer stopped to check me & I told him of the incident. He said he would put out the word to other officers to watch for this type of thing, but I don't know if it ever happened again there.

These types of things do happen, and often enough to be concerned about it. I mentioned it because it might happen again & to someone who is alone, possibly unarmed & out numbered. Those types count on that!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!