View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 AM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from the banks of the Yellowstone River

As I am writing this, it is just past 5 AM mountain time on September 29 here on the banks of the Yellowstone River about 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park. It is quite windy outside just now, and I can hear the wind whistling through the nearby trees. It will not be an easy day to be fishing on the river.

However, summer is now over here and the successful fishermen will be battling the weather regardless of the wind and throwing large streamers to aggressive big brown trout.

My wife and I spend our summers here in Southwest Montana, and will be leaving for our home in PA shortly where we stay during the winter. Unfortunately, my fishing equipment, drift boat, and other summer toys have been put away for the winter, so I will not be experiencing this fantastic fall fishing - my last float was a couple days ago with my best friend - I rowed while he fished - perhaps 20 fish hooked, about 12 landed, most of which were between 15" to 22" brown trout.

After a financial career in large multinational corporations, I was able to take an early retirement a few years back. These days, I fish quite a bit, both here in SW MT, as well as in the eastern US, mainly PA and NY. I also tie my own flies, and when not fishing, you might find me in the gym, where I spend most winter mornings, or hiking somewhere here in MT - a friend and I walk several miles or more practically every day when we're not fishing.

I'm looking forward to my membership on this website, and although I may not post frequently, I will be reading and enjoying it here daily.

John