Thread: "CLARK" reels?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: "CLARK" reels?

OK, lets be clear; reels like the no-name, presumably Chinese reels on e-bay are not made by "Clark" or even for Clark. Chinese boiler-plate reels are a dime a dozen and are produced by the container-load. One goes to the giant fishing trade show there (which I have never done but friends have) selects an existing ripped-off reel, specifies a color, machining variation on a theme, name and model number graphics and gives them money. A month or so later you put up a web site or, in this case, sell via auction and you are in the reel business. You need not know anything about reel design. I am not saying reels like these are junk, to the contrary, many are vary satisfied with re-branded big box store reels and many other products. Nor am I saying that a fishing company that has their reel designed in house but fabricated to their precise specs off shore is bad either...and there is a big difference between the made for reel and the rip off of that reel sold on an auction site. I have seen but not fished one of these Clark sealed drag reels and it struck me as superior in design to a number of made in America reels costing several times more from popular brands. We, the fly fishing consumer, drive demand for both the cheapest product available and the finest, made in America, work of reel art.