View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Favorite Western Tailwater?

Hi Everyone,

Too many good ones to choose.

I have fished the San Juan the most but there are a lot of fly fishers to contend with. Never the less with a pontoon boat you can get good access but a lot of times the spot you want is taken by a guide. Beautiful water and beautiful fish. I had one of my best days ever on Texas Hole one day in June. The fish was bitting so good that we didn't have to leave the hole.

I started to fish Lee's Ferry because the San Juan was too crowded. The scenery in the canyon is gorgeous. The water is beautiful and has just about any type of water you would want to fish. The problem with fish hanging out at your feet is much worse than The San Juan. You have to have a boat to fish up river from Lee's Ferry. It too is busy but not as bad as the Juan. On one trip I caught the second largest fish taken from Lee's Ferry that year. It is number two on my list.

I like the Platte around Saratoga but there is too many access restrictions.

The Utah Green is a good river to catch fish. It is too much of a hassle to launch your boat. I have caught some nice fish here but just not my favorite. For walkers there is a trail along the river and you can walk up to good fishing. I caught a nice three pounder right at the first take out waiting for the shuttle to pick us up.

My favorite Trout river in the West has to be the Green River North of the town, Green River, Wyoming. There are some most Browns in sections and up closer to the Dam I have taken two five pounders from the same hole. There are no crowds and You have all kinds of access to the river. I have never caught a lot of fish at one time but there is always a chance to catch a big fish. So do to the lack of people, the easy access and some great fish, this is my favorite.

Since I fish alone and my accumulation of years, I find some of the bigger rivers in Montana too hard for me fish safely.

Frank