View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:39 PM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

Well, it's been a while since I responded to this thread but I thought I'd post a thank you and a few photos from the trip. It was all I expected and hoped for with a bit of frustration and freezing thrown in. As a newb I learned a lot and can't stop thinking about a return trip! After 2 days of driving, I stopped at Rock Creek Fisherman's Mercantile (thanks mcnerny) picked up some flies and tying materials and headed to the Dalles to find a campsite where I stayed for a few days. I didn't catch anything huge but had a blast catching 8-13" browns and rainbows.

After saying goodbye to Rock Creek, I headed down to Baker's Hole on the Madison where I stayed for 2 days - fished the Madison and the Gallatin and found myself very humbled. I'm a terrible nymph fisher - something to work on for next year! I got great treatment at a couple of the West Yellowstone fly shop and really liked Blue Ribbon - nice chatting with former Michigander Craig Matthews and checking out all of the fly tying stuff!

After striking out in West Yellowstone, I headed into the park - saw my first wolf the first day and caught my first cutthroat! I spent a few days at Pebble Creek Campground fishing Soda Butte Creek, Firehole, Rock Creek by Red Lodge, MT and generally sightseeing. I'll be doing the same trip next year but with company and a little later - how is October in the park and SW MT? My boyfriend will be joining but he manages a fly shop here and September is salmon season.

A quick stop for brookies - Western UP

Click the image to open in full size.

My first Montana trout!

Rock Creek

Yellowstone

Woohoo - Cutthroats!

Thank you all again for the help - all of the suggestions here definitely made this an awesome trip!

Stacey