View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: They'll be days like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Random had to square me away on what I was really looking at. An old school hook. It's a pretty good optical illusion for a noob. What is the purpose of that hook?
ia,

So....I was at the vise and my fingers were fumbling along and I just couldn't get the fly to look the way I wanted. I gave it up and decided the only thing to do was razor the fly and start anew. Frustrating I thought and I had to take a picture. I needed two hands for the camera but wanted the razor as part of the story. I stuck the blade in the "loop" of the hook with the partially shaved body on spur of the moment to express my defeat.

It's a fancy hook and I don't have many so it gets recycled from time to time. The hook is a Partridge "Wilson Dry Single Salmon" for fishing to the Atlantic Salmon. The eye is tapered (to reduce weight, helping it to float) and looped back along the shank for strength. Most looped eye hooks don't go the extra step to taper the eye. It's fine wire, for dry fly, with the classy sproat bend and the finish is referred to as "japanned black". Partridge had a habit of naming their hooks after famous anglers...this fly hook is named in honor of englishman Dermot Wilson.

Don't you dare think about tying Woolly Buggers on a hook like this !...not cool. ;-) j/k

Last edited by calftail; 10-03-2013 at 06:43 AM.