Pflueger Medalist reel advice needed
I would like to get a few old school fly reels. The Medalist seems like a good place to start. I remember them as a kid, but never touched one. I have seen a few of the websites and have just a bit of introductory knowledge. I'm uncertain if I should buy a 1492 or a 1494. A few facts bearing on the decision....
1. I know it is an old reel with limitations. I spent 6 long years building a 53 Ford F100. The heater stinks and I had to add turn signals. I like nostalgia, don't need every convenience to be happy.
2. Intended use is light action. Something in the 3-5WT at the max, and I am thinking 3WT is more likely where I am headed with this. Small trout and panfish. I have modern equipment to chase bass and such.
3. It may go on an old school glass rod eventually, or maybe a low end modern rod, I don't know for sure how this package ends up.
4. I have powder coating equipment and auto painting equipment, I can make whatever I buy pretty, and I very likely will.
5. I reel right handed.
6. I don't want a new medalist reel, I see no point in that.
7. This very likely ends in me buying a much more expensive Hardy reel or something similar. I don't want to jump into that yet as I am too new to flyfishing to make an intelligent good choice.
Any more info needed? I guess what I am really asking is what reel is best for what weight range, rod types etc. I have read some stuff on the net but I trust the opinions here much more.