View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Against my better judgment: my trip to the mile

Well, even with the winter storm warning looming, I decided to head to the mile on thursday morning. I arrived about 10 am, quick threw up my tent and hit the water. It was a beautiful day, very little wind and probably in the mid 50s. Ended up catching about 9 fish the first day. Most came on either a pat's rubber legs, or a red rock worm, with the only brown of the day coming on a double bunny streamer. The weather soon changed about 6 that evening, with a fair amount of rain, followed by wet, heavy snow. I woke up every couple of hours that night to knock the snow off the tent, and even got up once the shovel the snow out from around the edges. Woke the next morning to more snow. I should have packed up and left right then, but decided to stay. I ended up fishing about 4 hours on friday, pulling about half a dozen small, 8-14 inch rainbows on an egg pattern. I decided I would try to make it to Alcova to meet up with Chased and Mcnerny. it is 29 miles from the mile to alcova, I made it 18 before I ran into a drifted over road that I was not going to make it through. I managed to get unstuck and turn around and make the trip back to the mile. Set up the tent again and was in for a long night of being mad at myself for being so stupid and not just waiting for better weather. Long story short, I woke up saturday morning and decided to give it another shot at making it home. I saw fresh tracks on a different road, and ended up following the tracks until I caught up with the two vehicles that made them. They had actually got stuck the night before on that road and stayed the night in their trucks. One guy had to leave his camper behind. Beyond that point, the roads were just fine. I ended up coming out at Hanna/Elk mountain, and made it home safely just a little after noon. I learned a few things on this trip: don't be stupid, never go alone, and always bring a full 5 gallon gas can (did't run out of gas, but it crossed my mind several time) well anyway, here are a few pictures.
Click the image to open in full size.