View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Solo Road Trip Montana/Wyoming - September

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Nice photos Stacey, thanks for the update. Funny, the first place I stayed in Montana - after driving here from West Michigan no less - was The Dalles campground! It was late September and desolate. I got skunked but feel in love with the place. While that is an absolutely gorgeous, scenic stretch of river it is probably one of the toughest spots to actually catch big fish. But they are there ... I know you looked into the dark bottomless holes in that boulder strewn stretch. I love it in there even if it is hard to catch fish.
dean_mt - you are right Rock Creek felt pretty special, I had a hard time leaving despite the fact that I didn't really catch a ton of fish there. It looks so fishy in through those boulder pools by the Dalles but I didn't get anything out of there (caught most of my fish in the shallow water/riffles across from my campsite #8 on dries/hoppers). There was a fire down at Harry's Flat which filled the campground with smoke in the morning and the road was filled with Fire vehicles so that was pretty interesting. I liked the Mercantile and met some nice people at the campground and the fly shop. I'll go back, though I have a feeling when we go in October everything out there will be a bit chilly!

Come to find out, I met forum member yonder and didn't even know it! First in Arrick's in West Yellowstone, then in Blue Ribbon where he recommended beetles for Soda Butte Creek cutthroat. Great to put a face with a screen name!!