View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Graphite rod + lightning = !!!

For those of you new to the sport, waving a long graphite rod around in thunderstorms and lightning can be VERY dangerous, especially on open water. Here's a news story and a pic of a guy that was fishing with his son when he was struck by lightning--- luckily they are both OK, but check out the pic of the rod...

Fishermen Survive Lightning Strike - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

I was in the keys on a flats boat when the push pole literally started humming. I turned and looked and my buddy poling the boat had his hair on his head and arms standing up... No sign of rain or lightning, but there must have been a lot of electricity in the air. Pretty freaky. If there weren't fish around we would have probably stopped fishing...

mark