View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Geez my egg flies are UGLY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
Trying to tie up some egg flies with some #10 egg hooks and mcfloam egg foam out of a foam dispenser tube with Danville 6/0 thread. I'm getting it tied on with a little difficulty but when I cut the foam they are not round that's for sure. They are uneven and ugly even after fluffing the fibers. I have little orange rock looking flies. Yes I am new to this. Help.
Go to any crafts store (Hobby Lobby, Michael's Crafts, even Walmart). They have these "pom-pom's". They are little balls of yarn that come in many sizes and all different colors. Pierce the hook through the "pom-pom", add super glue, and you are done. I take a colored sharpie and make a dot on them for the hot spot. You can get a BUNCH of them in a bag for a couple bucks and IMO they look better than tying them yourself. They are all I use now for egg patterns. Add a split shot 6" up from the egg or drop the egg off a weighted nymph to get them down and you are in business!