View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Month for Trout

Trout can be caught in the colder parts of that river year round, though the fish would prefer that you fish when it is less than 90 degrees outside. I say that because trout cannot survive in water over about 70 degrees. In the hottest months of the year, you might find that some of the river is getting up to nearly that temperature.

The trout take a little while to figure out that htye have to eat something besides pellets, but they learn pretty quickly. For trout that have just been flopped into the river, nothing will work better than a fly/lure that looks like the pellets they are used to eating. Then they go through a phase where they will hit most anything thrown at them. During this phase wooly buggers drifted or swung by them will work better than most anything. Eventually they learn that nymphs, pupae/larvae, and adult bugs are the best and safest source of food for them. The longer they are in the river, the pickier they will get.

Traditional nymphing can work perfectly well, though I prefer to use some unorthodox techniques in the fastest sections of the river.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.